It’s 2022 and you’re a coffee person, so you’ve probably noticed that brewing up a cup of drip or pulling a shot of espresso these days can be more high-tech than ever. It’s not just the brewing side of things that has improved either. Peer into any corner of the specialty coffee industry and you’ll find remarkable innovations - many within the last few years - that have reshaped how we buy, roast, brew and grow our coffee. From ultra-programmable espresso machines, to groundbreaking genetic research, there’s never been a time where more people have been more obsessed with making better coffee. The revolution is here and it will be caffeinated.
Except - why are we still cupping coffee like it’s 1999?
It’s time to put down the clipboard, pen and paper, and start cupping smarter with Tastify!
Optimize your cupping experience
In 2015, we launched Tastify to simplify and enhance the process of scoring and evaluating coffee. Since then, Tastify has helped countless coffee professionals throughout the industry - from producers and roasters to educators and baristas - better understand their coffee and become expert cuppers.
We’re excited to share that we’ve been hard at work giving Tastify a fresh makeover. In addition to streamlining user functionality and redesigning the Tastify website, we’ve also added a suite of new features with more on the way (including a dedicated mobile app!).
If you’ve been a long-time user of Tastify, don’t worry; all the features you know and love, like flavor wheels and cupping search and sort, are still here. We’re confident you’ll love the snazzy new UI, and can’t wait for you to try it out with your next cupping. In the meantime, here’s a quick look at what’s in store.
As you can already tell, we’ve overhauled the website and updated the design based around a vibrant color palette that reflects the wide spectrum of flavors that coffee has to offer. We hope you’ll find that the new site is not only a treat for the eyes but is cleaner and easier to navigate!
Improving user experience has been one of our top priorities in our refresh, and to that end, we’ve included a number of quality of life upgrades - such as adding sidebar navigation to move seamlessly between pages and a search bar at the top of the screen - that we know you’ll appreciate. Here are some of the highlights:
- Branded flavor wheels and cupping reports. Fortify your branding by uploading your company logo and generating branded assets like reports and flavor wheels!
- Improved Cupping Forms. The Arabica and Robusta cupping forms have been updated to include intensity scales and defect counts. We’ve also now added the official Cup of Excellence cupping form used by ACE.
- Expanded Guest Cupping. Guest users can now join a Tastify cupping without needing to create an account while still being able to send scores. So be sure to invite all your friends the next time you’re cupping!
- More Language Support. In addition to Spanish, Portuguese, Canadian French, and Simplified Chinese, we’ve also added Japanese, Korean and Bahasa. We’re working on adding even more languages!
- Enhanced Customer Support. We’ve added thorough resource guides that will walk you through everything you need to know about using Tastify. We’re also implementing a ticketing system through Zendesk alongside a community forum to help address any questions that aren’t covered in the resource guides. Enterprise Plus users will also have access to a personalized onboarding with a Tastify team member.
Never Lose Track Of A Coffee Again
It’s hard to beat the usefulness of Tastify’s search and sort functionality, but we went ahead and made it even better. To make sure you can find and compare the exact coffee(s) you’re looking for, we’ve expanded search parameters (under sample info) to include:
- Shipping Info
- Moisture content
- Water activity
- Bag weight
- Mass and volume
- Ikawa Profile
Additionally, you can now search for coffees based on green grading and defect information!
To give you even more insight into how your coffees have performed, we’ve added an exciting new Analytical Report feature. Pick any coffee that you’ve cupped and generate a breakdown detailing aggregated scores, descriptors and notes across all cuppers who have cupped that coffee. If you cupped the same coffee across a number of crop years, the Analytical Report will also show you how the coffee has performed over time. This report can give you invaluable insight not only into the coffee itself, but how you and your colleagues have developed your cupping skills. We’ll be adding more reports in the future, including a Marketing Report.
Even More Features On The Way
We’ve got a lot more planned in the months ahead! As we continue to revamp Tastify and elevate the cupping experience, we’ve got a host of new features that we’ll be rolling out soon.
Here’s what to keep an eye out for:
- Community-led Forum and Tastify Academy. We’ll be working with leading industry professionals to help curate worthwhile and interesting knowledge base content. We’ll also be moderating community-led discussion threads for all your coffee questions.
- Tastify Social. Soon you’ll be able to follow fellow cuppers, see what coffees they’ve been tasting, send direct messages and even compete on cupping leaderboards!
- Mobile App (iOS and Android). A dedicated mobile app is in the works and will provide a more seamless and fluid Tastify user experience. Tasitfy will still be usable as a web application.
Here at Tastify, we’re so excited to be building a thriving network of coffee professionals and enthusiasts, and we couldn’t be more thrilled to have you on board.
Be sure to sign up to our newsletter to be the first to know about new developments, and if there’s anything you’re curious about, shoot us a message!